Organised by the Health and Safety Executive of Northern Ireland (HSENI), OFTEC took an active part in raising awareness.
Richard Meredith, principal inspector, HSENI added: “We’re grateful to OFTEC in helping to raise awareness. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often difficult to diagnose, mimicking those of other common illnesses such as flu and headaches. The best way to protect yourself and others is to make sure any fuel burning appliances are serviced by a registered engineer at least once a year.” www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout
OFTEC Ireland manager, David Blevings said: “Carbon monoxide is traditionally associated with gas appliances. We are concerned that the message isn’t getting through to householders using oil and other fuels. The message is simple; if you burn oil, coal, peat, wood or gas then you should take appropriate action.”
Annual servicing carried out by a registered technician was a key focus of the campaign. “OFTEC technicians carry a flue gas analyser that can specifically check for carbon monoxide spillage,” added David.